10/19/2021 | 2 min read
Staying safe on Halloween doesn’t need to be tricky.
Celebrate the spookiest night of the year by keeping your pet away from these hazards:
#1: Candy bags and wrappers
Bags and wrappers can be as dangerous to your pet as the treats they contain.
Plastic and foil can be a choking hazard. They can also lead to gastrointestinal obstruction in dogs and other pets. Toss wrappers in a securely locked trash can.
Although every pet owner knows chocolate is a toxin for pets, it’s still one of the most eaten. Stay vigilant: keep the trick-or-treat bowl out of your pet’s reach. Store leftover candy on a high shelf.
Chocolate can vary in toxicity depending on the content of a caffeine-like compound called theobromine. White chocolate has little theobromine, while dark chocolate and baker’s chocolate have higher levels.
Signs your pet might have eaten chocolate:
● Increased thirst
● Excessive urination
● A racing heart rate
Severe cases might include muscle tremors, seizures, and heart failure.
#3: Sugar-free candy
Xylitol (also called Birch Sugar) is the sweetener in sugar-free candies and gum. Xylitol is highly toxic to dogs and can cause a severe drop in blood sugar when ingested.
Higher doses of xylitol can lead to liver failure.
If your dog eats sugar-free candy or gum, they may show the following hypoglycemia signs within an hour:
● Lack of coordination or difficulty walking or standing
● Weakness or lethargy
Raisins are an ingredient in many items, including trail mix and baked goodies. Ingesting as little as a small box of raisins can be fatal for your pet.
We’re not sure why raisins are so toxic. And we’re not always sure why some pets are prone to developing kidney failure and others aren’t.
The first sign is vomiting*, usually 24 hours after ingestion.
Err on the side of caution by keeping all raisins out of your pet’s reach.
Wishing you all your families a safe Halloween. If you think your pet got into your candy stash, don’t panic! Call us at 512.980.2080.
*If you notice your pet isn’t feeling well, give us a call. It might not have anything to do with ingesting something they shouldn’t have. We can ask you the right questions to find out what, if anything, your pet has eaten.